The world is facing a massive challenge when it comes to drinking water resources.
By 2020, the world will consume 465 billion litres of bottled water yearly. Each liter of bottled water requires 3 liters of feed water and ¼ liter of oil, including transportation. In addition to that, the bottles leak chemicals into the water, and less than 20% are recycled, while the remaining 80% end up in landfills or our oceans.
In the US alone, an estimated 1.7 million people in the US lack access to safe water. This disproportionately hurts minorities and the economically disadvantaged.
Each day in the US there are over 750 water main breaks. When centralized infrastructure fails but water continues flowing, households are often advised to boil their water to “treat” contaminants.
A Danish clean water alternative
Enter WaterStillar, a Danish-based company, who aims to solve the challenge of clean drinking water supply by using nature’s own water purification technique – distillation. WaterStillar offers decentralized, solar powered, independent and sustainable drinking water purification, which is applicable for both urban and rural areas.
Through the Access Cities program, WaterStillar will work together with Danish Cleantech Hub, who is the New York lead on the Access Cities program. Access Cities is an international, public-private program, which aims to strengthen sustainable urban development in five progressive cities – New York, Singapore, Munich and the Danish cities of Copenhagen and Aarhus. The project connects stakeholders working with sustainable urban development in the pursuit of game-changing solutions to common issues confronting cities.
Danish Cleantech Hub will assist WaterStillar with finding US partners that can help scale the company, and thus deliver clean drinking water for communities faced with either polluted water resources or water shortages,
”We have an easily deployable technology that can solve one of the greatest crises we face right now in the face of climate change. If we can find the right partners to scale up and bring this technology to communities in the US who suffer from polluted water resources, or in water scarce districts, we can make a difference”, says Tom Juul Andersen, Founder and CEO of WaterStillar.
For more information contact: Danish Cleantech Hub